Keep those games alive!

Children are inventive, original and very messy. As they get older they start losing these nice qualities. Some manage to hold on. This is what I am trying to do with this blog. My brother - a great inventor of games - kept most of my childhood happily occupied with his original games. This blog started out as a way to keep those games alive. Do read the first few posts to enter his wonderful world. Reader contributions welcome :)

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Paper Video Game

The Inventor: Bharath, who is Bored out of his mind.

This is pure genius - read it in his own words and pictures (I merely lifted it from his blog)

Something original for a change. My very own game! I'm sure there must be plenty of other ppl that have made something similar to this, but until they come and pull me up on this, I am the proud and sole creator of the PAPER VIDEO GAME!

This was something that I had created sometime in 5th or 6th standard, when hand held video games were a craze in India. I wasn't able to get my hands on one, so well I created one with whatever resources I had plenty at the time - namely paper and pencils.

First how to create one. You need:
  • A piece of paper (ruled or otherwise)
  • Pencil and Eraser
  • A fertile imagination
  • Another tiny piece of folded paper/aluminium foil tightly curled into a small ball with a flat bottom.

STEP 1

First fold the sheet of paper as illustrated. There are two folds required. This gives it a kind of springy effect. Don't press too hard to make Fold 2. Otherwise the paper loses it's springiness.Repeat for all 4 edges of the sheet of paper.

STEP 2

Now draw your beautiful game on it. I generally created courses that my little paper/foil ball had to make across, with alternate courses and bonuses etc. Draw your controls on the paper and voila... You have your paper game like so!



STEP 3

Now place the little ball at the start and navigate it through the meandering courses with your controls. Like I mentioned earlier, making your paper/foil ball flat at the bottom gives you better control. Otherwise you tend to lose control if it is completely round.

Practice makes perfect. It is quite difficult to master this game, so a little patience is required in the beginning. But once you master the art of moving your little ball, you can never get bored at airports :).

9 Comments:

Blogger Sumithra said...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaa!! Me first! :D

12:07 AM  
Blogger Sumithra said...

The game is very original!

12:12 AM  
Blogger delhidreams said...

Good Morning, Ma'm

3:13 PM  
Blogger Bharath Hemachandran said...

Glad you liked it enough to put it on here. I have plenty more where this came from although I can't claim to have invented any of them.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Cloudy said...

@Sunshine: Very original!

@Bharath: I should have called this blog 'The collector of games', a little less ambitiously... too messy to change that now..
All games welcome :)))

8:40 AM  
Blogger Bharath Hemachandran said...

I've sent you an email for the next game veena. feel free to manipulate as you wish.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Obi Wan said...

Me 2nd (technically) :-) Now let me study the game!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Anand Ramachandran said...

Wow - invented?

I came across this when I was in class 4 circa 1984. In Chennai.

Would love to chat with the actual INVENTOR of it. I devised several variants myself, leading to several happy hours.

I now design actual video games.

BTW - nice blog.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Cloudy said...

Thank you Anand :) The actual inventor is Bharath, whose blog is linked to in the main page. Wow, you design video games? For a living? What fun! :)

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home